By Bernadette D. Nicolas, April 29 2019; Business Mirror
Image Credit to Philippine Star
Malacañang lashed out at the San Francisco Board of Supervisors for its “outrageous interference” into the country’s sovereignty after it issued a resolution condemning the government’s war on drugs.
The Palace on Sunday said it is perplexed why they “could believe the false narratives, as well as the bogus statistics cited in the Duterte administration’s drug war.” Malacañang alleged the information was fed to them by “biased news agencies, anti-Duterte trolls, and a biased alleged labor and environmental activist from San Francisco and Richmond.”
This, after the San Francisco Board of Supervisors came out with a resolution condemning the Philippine government’s campaign against illegal drugs.
“The resolution is a toxic and unacceptable intrusion to our legal processes and an outrageous interference with our country’s sovereignty,” Presidential Spokesman and Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador S. Panelo said in a statement.
The resolution also expressed support to detained Duterte critic Sen. Leila M. de Lima and Rappler CEO Maria Ressa.
It also urged the withdrawal of US financial aid to the Philippines.
According to the resolution, the Board of Supervisors also urged San Francisco representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi, US Sen. Kamala Harris, US Sen. Dianne Feinstein, and Congress member Jackie Speier to “support a congressional hearing on the consequences of US tax dollars going to the Philippine military and police, and to champion cutting US military aid to the Duterte regime.”
It noted that the US government allocates money to the Armed Forces of the Philippines and Philippine National Police through appropriations for the Department of State, and Foreign Operations and Related Programs, and the current appropriations in the amount of $184.5 million go to the Philippine military.
American Senators have also earlier filed a resolution condemning the human-rights abuses in the country.
“Like some US Senators, the San Francisco Supervisors have either developed an amnesia or have not outgrown their colonial mentality,” Panelo added. “They should be shaken from their stupor and wake up to the fact that the Philippines had long ceased to be a colony of the United States and will never be a vassal to it.”
But the Palace has since argued that the killings were not state-sponsored. The Executive branch has also denied that the criminal prosecution of de Lima and Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV were because they are critical of the government.
“The cases of Senators De Lima, Trillanes and Ressa, are being tried before our local courts, which belong to a separate and independent branch of the government. They have been afforded their rights to due process. Their criminal prosecution is anchored on their transgressions of our laws and it has absolutely nothing to do with their being critical of the Administration,” Panelo said.
“Other harsher critics do not face any criminal complaint simply because they have not violated any law but just exercising their freedom of speech.”
Once again, the Palace said the death of some policemen would attest to the fact that the government is not behind the extrajudicial killings.
“The dismissal and prosecution of a Manila police officer for killing an epileptic in a false drug raid, together with last year’s conviction of three Caloocan police officers for the killing of a teenager, underscores the policy that this Administration does not tolerate police abuse,” he said.
“Failing in convincing the majority of the Filipinos of their peddled falsities against the President, the few vociferous anti-Duterte personalities turn to foreign politicians or international human rights groups vulnerable to misinformation and gullible to untruthful narrations against this Administration who then either unwittingly lend hand to—or ignorantly parrot—the detractors’ pretended patriotism and politically motivated advocacy,” he added.