By Bernadette D. Nicolas, April 26 2019; Business Mirror
Image Credit to Rappler
MALACAÑANG has rejected any further discussion with Canada for the pullout of the rotting hazardous waste Ottawa has dumped in the country five years ago, saying that the matter is “nonnegotiable.”
The Palace was outraged that Canada has since not taken any decisive action on its “arrant hostile demeanor” and for not even expressing regrets for the matter.
“Our stand against it making our country a garbage bin of their waste is nonnegotiable. It cannot dilly-dally on getting them back. It must retrieve them pronto or we throw them back to its shores,” said Presidential Spokesman and Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador S. Panelo in a news statement issued on Thursday.
“It’s [Canada’s] offensive act can not be countenanced, and any further discussion on the matter is unwelcome and unnecessary,” he added.
Malacañang also slammed Canada for its “quick but vague” statement following President Duterte’s threat that he will declare war if Canada would not take action on the trash they dumped in the Philippines.
“We take note that its response is not appropriate to the strong statement we made against it throwing its garbage to our land,” Panelo said.
On Wednesday, Canada said it is working with the Philippines to resolve the issue, noting that it is aware of the court decision ordering the importer to ship the trash back to Canada.
Moreover, Panelo even warned that the seven-decade diplomatic relations between the two countries will be put to waste if Canada will not act appropriately.
“The seventy years of diplomatic relations between the two countries will be put to naught if Canada will not act with dispatch and finality the resolution of this undiplomatic episode to which we take outrage. That it even considered performing such outlandish disposal of its garbage to an ally is dangerously disruptive of our bilateral relations,” he said.
On Tuesday, President Duterte ordered the Department of Finance, which overseas the Bureau of Customs (BOC), to return the trash immediately back to Canada next week, or else, he will be the one to set sail and dump their garbage back there.
About 103 containers of Canadian waste comprising of household trash, newspapers and used adult diapers, among others were illegally shipped in batches to the country from 2013 to 2014.
The trash had been rotting since then at a dump in Tarlac.
Should Canada illegally ship hazardous trash to the Philippines anew, President Duterte has said he would order the BOC to bar these ships from the docks.